FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
you wanna tow that?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: you wanna tow that? Reply with quote

Hi from down under...haven't posted here for years.

My subaru kombi suited me well...until..I bought a trailer sailer yacht which weighs a tonne unloaded! so what to tow it with? well the kombi of course!

so the turbo suby fires the kombi along quite spritely but not with the grunt for towing a heavy boat thousands of kilometers(we have thousands in australia) so what to do?
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: you wanna tow that? Reply with quote

[quote="obi1robi"]Hi from down under...haven't posted here for years.

My subaru kombi suited me well...until..I bought a trailer sailer yacht which weighs a tonne unloaded! so what to tow it with? well the kombi of course!

so the turbo suby fires the kombi along quite spritely but not with the grunt for towing a heavy boat thousands of kilometers(we have thousands in australia) so what to do?

[/img][/url]
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: you wanna tow that? Reply with quote

[quote="obi1robi"]
obi1robi wrote:
Hi from down under...haven't posted here for years.

[/img][/url]

Here in Oz we have the buick 3.8 in the local holdens which are cheap as chips[/img]
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez maybe cos i'm from down under posting here seems upside down!

anyway got the flywheel and had the adapter plate cut and i wanted to use as much of the holden donor car electric as possible...so tach and temp gauges all good

[/img]

but this little bugga is the hall effect sensor for the speedo that pugs into the holden gearbox...but not into a vw 091...hmm..so what to do?
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obi1robi wrote:
geez maybe cos i'm from down under posting here seems upside down!

anyway got the flywheel and had the adapter plate cut and i wanted to use as much of the holden donor car electric as possible...so tach and temp gauges all good

[/img]

but this little bugga is the hall effect sensor for the speedo that pugs into the holden gearbox...but not into a vw 091...hmm..so what to do?

getting the hang of this...yeah so i have a 73 bay kombi...i want to tow an 18 foot sailboat to the whitsunday islands thousands of kilometers away so i've fitted a 3.8litre buick motor...all good but the speedo needs high tech to work...presto

it a gps device which conmverts the gps signal to thousands of impulses which the electronic speedo will recognise...hopefully...its on its way from the US
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great project!!!

is the Kombi heavy enough to tow such a big boat? Over here they kind of insist that you have either a big van or a 4x4 to tow something like that.
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what happens if that GPS device loses signal with the satellites? Will the engine go into limp mode? I've seen RJES use a device that goes on the speedo cable that converts the rotary motion of the cable (off the front wheel) into a pulse that the vehicle speed sensor can use.
obi1robi
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev thanks for showing an interest and all good points to which i don't know the answer.

Will be lots of fun though if it does go into 'limp mode'...i can turn to my dearly beloved and say 'sorry Darl we've lost the satellite again!'

Of course neither Darl or myself want too much limp mode so the tip about RJES is appreciated. It's all good fun experimenting and i love my 73 VW needing a good sat connect...cheers
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: