FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Gearbox/engine mounts for baywindow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Gearbox/engine mounts for baywindow? Reply with quote

Ok so now looking into the 3rd engine conversion for my camper, first being a 1.6NA diesel from a caddy van, slow, reasonable on fuel and with stock T25 engine mounts and not too much vibration through the body. Engine 2 was a 1.6TD from a golf much the same thing, but due to the Turbo I moved one engine mount kind of under the engine and used a mk2 golf 'front' engine mount (the one by the starter between engine and box) ok most of the time but much more cab noise and vibration.

So been doing some research and having read up I understand there are 'hydro' mounts mainly found on the bigger vws and audis(and also things like volvos etc) to make the cabin smooth and quiet, I was considering using some of these to upgrade my engine mount design and was thinking about what solution might be best.

Apparently the front engine mount I was using is classed as a hydro mount, but I was under the impression that means it actually has to be oil filled rather than thick rubber, either way I want something better.

So onto the actual project concept, I was looking at fitting a 1.4Tdi engine to my bay, mated to a beetle gearbox for higher gearing and thought this means custom mounts all round, now is time to reduce vibration and engine noise for good. I was going to use a hydro mount each side of the engine then I wasnt sure what to use for the gearbox as a stock mount seems a bit on the small side, I considered maybe making something with 2 more hydro mounts, so the whole engine and gearbox is mounted on a set of 4 to really take the vibration out. Overkill perhaps or are there better ways?

Suggestions and photos appreciated Happy

Doing Thing Differently.
Smoothlookinbay
Padawan
Padawan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory my BMW 3 series (E46 shape) diesel had hydro-mounts which were liquid filled, they were a nice easy shape for a custom application, round with a metal plate top and bottom with a threaded stud sticking out.

I like your idea for using a beetle gearbox in the bay, if it had a removable bell-housing like the stock bay I think I would go that direction. How difficult is it to fit?
Bugsy_malone 666
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see bmw do a few different varieties, apparently old Volvo's have something similar, as do the big Audi engines. I noticed some of the BMW mounts look a bit like a T25 mount!

Not sure how difficult it is to fit a bug box in a bay, but i do know you need to do one of 2 things, change the output flanges or change the CV joints to mate up to the bug box. Funnily enough this morning I was having a discussion on VZi about a bug box with bus flanges (I think they are trekker ones) and with the guy was saying how apparently in a beetle you need to take 2mm of the CVs width so it mates properly in a beetle. It maybe that in a bay that means you need a little extra width.

For me using a bug box is fine in so far as I already have a KEP adaptor plate for golf engines, allowing me to mount the engine actually upright rather than 50deg like in the T25.

Doing Thing Differently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: