FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Time for an update.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superleggo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neat tank installation. I wish I had fitted air suspension but I am not going back now as I am getting too much hassle to get it on the road for the summer.
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flickr is crap - took ages to find how to post pics with their 'new improved format'....anyway...gauges trial fitted.

at last the paint prep began....a whole weekend of rubbing stuff down at my mates bodyshop SW bodyworx. massive thanks to Stu.

Superleggo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

I am getting excited about your paint.
It will transform your work.

I can't wait for more pictures.
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey its been a while....
Ive solved the wiper puzzle - they now work a treat with decent wipe :-) all that remains is to make a decent version of them using rose joints etc which is next weeks job.

So that has left me with one last job.....my fibreglass dormy roof is a nice shape but poorly made.

Many many screws on the outside look ugly, it flexes too much and sweats /condensates and looks rubbish on the inside. As I plan to have it lifted and dropped by air rams I need it to be strong so have decided to double skin it and strengthen it and solve all the problems at once.

I templated the profile, then made some wooden ribs

Untitled

then bonded them to the roof and added some thin wall steel box - as is now used for stud walls these days as its very very light

then started filling with expanding foam which I will shape and form the inner skin over. this also serves to take the flex out of the very flimsy lightweight steel strengtheners and gives some thermal benefit

then I ran out of foam....hoping to have this and wipers all done by next week.....then its finished Wink for now....
splitbusvanatic
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
What did you use to bond the wood to the fibre glass ?
Superleggo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Roof Reply with quote

Nice work Rich. Good idea to stiffen the roof. I was about to tackle mine as well.

What are you doing about the canvas. I was thinking of making mine out of banner material.

Are you planning on bonding in the windows or using the seal as I have heard that they leak?
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used fibreglass resin to bond the wood - it is what was used originally. ALso to lighten the bows we added a lot of holes to the back of the wood which also gives more surface area for bonding.

Canvas will be lightweight and brieathable - as found on modern vans - the old plastic was sweaty and rubbish. I also want to make some mods to that

I am planning on bonding the windows - that will come once I finish the inner skin...as it will require some re-shaping of the aperture. Looks fairly easy though.

1/2 term this week so hopefully see both roof and wipers finito...unless the weather is good for biking or surfs good!! Grin
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more roof progress

shaped the foam with saws and sand paper

the old strengthener had rotted away...I made a wider one from some cut down angle....I drilled it to 10mm to ensure a good bond through the metal

Untitled

bonded in with FG

then welded in a web to link the original strentheners in the corners, the new strengtheners and the wooden bows

then fibreglassed over the foam.....
Untitled

still some finishing left on the inside - and some more on the outside but there is nearly no flex in it at all!
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away for a bit so not much progress....body prep continues slowly, closed all the holes in the roof so sll mods are finished on the roof

Untitled

After much though I decided to buy a new gearbox and use the subarugears reverse r&p. It's not that there is problem with the Rjes I still think it's the best adaptor system out there....however a play on a gear calculator clinched it so I sold the Rjes and my box and bought a 2003 wrx box for 200 including clutch and flywheel....thanks ebay.

Untitled
I'm using the later and improved ty754 box which is a similar year to my engine.
I have costed up the conversion at about 1500 inc the donor box. You can get a box built for about 450-500 on top of that but I going to build it myself....a first for me so should be interesting!!!!

Being so far along with my project I was concerned I was going to have to redo a lot of stuff as the box size might be different....however it basically moves the driveshafts back about 20mm and down about the same which actually improves clearance on full drop. So it looks like all I will need to do is remake the mounts and gear linkage, plus the internal box work. Sounds easy....

Although subaru gears have a how to on their website....I'm going to make a more thorough one here as it does assume some prior knowledge I didn't have....I am a complete novice so hopefully others can learn from my errors.

First step is to remove the rear drive stuff to facilitate box shortening...remove the roll pins from the gear selector and pull it off. Then undo about 10 14mm bolts around the top and give it a gentle tap to remove.

Untitled

This reveals all the bits you have to remove.....

Untitled
So remove them...they just lift out....

Untitled
Leaving this

Untitled
So far it's taken about 10 minutes.....next is to remove the centre housing ( the empty bit) so it can be shortened...to follow

doppelganger
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good im looking at gearbox options on the GF`s squareback right now so video when it comes to the grinder work Happy

vwdrc AE bugjam winner
11.23@127mph. 1.47 60ft. 2.85sec 0-60mph
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent, I'll be watching this progress Happy
ricola
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one of these for a mate recently so if anyone wants pics pm me your facebook details and I can add you to the group...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: