FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
65 Split upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looking very good. Gets my approval!!

Don't sleep and drive!!!
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it gets the Kai seal of approval Grin
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back down the unit today for the final push.
All I had to do was check the steering was all good and no leaks and refit the wheels. A morning of cocking about picking up bits and bobs meant I didnt get to the unit until 2pm. So much for an early start.

When I finally arrived the very first thing I did was check underneath the kombi and all was good, no leaks from the steering rack and I'm very happy.

So that was that. Wheels on and take it for a drive.

Well there was just one more thing

Ever since I have had the Subaru conversion I have had an engine oil leak. It has pissed me off since day one and I thought I'd found the reason for it a while ago. With the engine rebuild this winter I had the opportunity to inspect all the usual Subaru leaky seal areas behind the flywheel and tend to them. But STILL I had a leak.

I really didnt want to admit to myself my very expensive shortened cast Aluminium sump was porous, but it was. I am really annoyed about this as it wasn't cheap and the quality is actually very poor. So what to do? I bought a stock sump with the intention of shortening it.
Then this morning I get a text from Ricola (of this very parish) who has just remembered he has a spare shortened sump and oil pick up in his garage, so after running a few errands and getting my hair cut, I headed over to his place and picked it up.

We checked the capacity and it should be fine, so this afternoon was spent fitting the new (to me) shortened sump. I've left it overnight to see if I get any leaks so tomorrow will hopefully be a win when I get to the unit and no drops on the floor!!

Then I can re-fit the wheels and take it for a test drive
Grin
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning was high and lows.

I arrived and checked under the kombi to find a small puddle of oil
which i traced back to the dip stick tube. In order to get 4.5 litres of oil in the shortened sump the oil level is over the level of the dip stick tube join. Despite refitting with brand new O rings the bloody thing leaked, so oil drained, dip stick tube removed, everything cleaned with brake cleaner and a nice dollop of Three Bond was placed around the end of the dipstick tube, and it was all reassembled in under an hour.
I then set up my workshop heater pointing at the lower part of the engine and went off and did other jobs for an hour or two in order for the Three Bond to cure. Once it was touch dry I refilled the oil and all was well, with no leaks Happy

With the engine burbbling away to itself I refitted the wheels and decided it was high time to go for a little cruise to check everything worked. At this point Ricola arrived in his WRX cabrio bug to see what I was up to and he decided to hop in the kombi for the inaugural spin. The plan was to go to the local servo to get some fuel. Well we did not get far. Less than a mile in fact before the temperature gauge shot up and I had to shut off the engine. I turned around and limped back to the unit stopping twice to let the engine cool!!
Despite the kombi happily sitting at a nice temperature in the unit with the cooling fans coming on/going off as expected the road test was not good. So enough is enough. The stock Subaru thermostat is already in the bin and new hoses have been ordered so I can fit the same style BMW thermostat that Ricola has on his bug, and is proven to work. I'm hoping the parts will arrive before next weekend but we'll see.

In other news the lifter tick is back and the gearbox is leaking. Cry

Last edited by Cleverchap on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
trev
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaagh!!!

you have the patience of a saint!! I'd have burned it down at this stage!! LOL!
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workshop heater!!! Your just showing off now.

I take it you've diagnosed the thermostat due to the radiator being cold whilst your engine was boiling? Please can you do a write up, provide a link for the swap to the BMW stat and parts.... then come round mine and change mine Laugh Out Loud tbh, I've still got the original subaru thermostat that came with this second engine which appears to be working for me up until this point before I mentioned it.

My first gearbox leaked.... don't worry the extra gear and power is totally worth it. My second gearbox leaks but this is due to the oil filler dip stick tube not being completely sealed again. Having learnt an expensive lesson I'll be attending to this promptly. Currently I've got the subaru gears yellow cap thingy which hasn't sealed this time.

Keep the updates coming!! I'm finding this inspirational to get of my ass and sort my own car.

Don't sleep and drive!!!
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
aaaaaagh!!!

you have the patience of a saint!! I'd have burned it down at this stage!! LOL!

Its been close a couple of times. I'm lucky in a way as it is a 25 minute journey to my unit from my house so I can calm down by the time I get home. Shutting the door and walking away is probably the only reason it has survived this long!! Laugh Out Loud
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai wrote:

Keep the updates coming!! I'm finding this inspirational to get of my ass and sort my own car.

I'll document the BMW thermostat instal. It should be very straight forward and all the parts are either here already or on the way. Fingers crossed I can get it done over the weekend so long as all the parts arrive in time.
I could bodge it with bits of old hose etc but having come this far, and for the sake of 17 and a couple more days of waiting, it just not worth it.

And workshop heater. Yeah they are bloody nice, even better with wheels

I made this out of an old road works sign whilst waiting for the sealant on the dipstick tube to go off Grin It's bloody heavy when full of diesel.
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, lets get this thermostat swapped out.

The parts you need are a Bilstein 12187 thermostat (commonly used on BMW 3 and 5 series throughout the 1990-2000's), and a few hoses, joiners and jubilee clips.

ALL the outlets on this thermostat are 32mm and the rad hoses on the Subaru engine (and my entire cooling system) are 38mm. In order to go from one to the other, a couple of rings (the blue bits in the pic above) were cut from an old 32mm blue silicone hose and they just happened to be the perfect size to allow my 38mm hose to connect without the need for step down/step up inline connectors. This thankfully does away with a load more joins/jubilee clips and potential leak points.

The one custom part you can see bottom left of the picture is a 32-16mm step down 90 degree connector. You could go and buy preformed step down hoses for this but you have to go to 25mm from 32mm and then down to 16mm. Again this would be more hose clamps, more joins and more potential leaks.

The new thermostat is going to be placed in the forward left corner of the engine bay (just under the coolant expansion bottle).

A bit of semi careful measuring and undoing the connector at this elbow the hose came off and was all ready to be cut down to length.

With the hose cut down and everything assembled it looks like this.

Now imagine hot water comes down the straight hose from the engine left to right.

The 90 degree bend on the right continues to the main radiator (which is closed off by the thermostat until it gets hot)
The outlet on top steps down from 32mm to 16mm and goes to my heater matrix. This coolant path is ALWAYS open. From the heater matrix the coolant is returned to the solid 16mm coolant pipe (and on to the stock water pump) as per Subaru's original design.

Last edited by Cleverchap on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres that lot from the picture above installed in the engine bay.
You can just see the reducer poking out under the coolant expansion bottle.

A couple of other bits round out the instal.

The long 16mm hose goes from the new thermostat to my heater matrix and the 16mm blanking cap goes on the end of the cross over pipe that used to feed the heater matrix.

Simple as that Wink

Last edited by Cleverchap on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cleverchap
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleverchap wrote:
In other news the lifter tick is back and the gearbox is leaking. Cry

Lifter tick cured!!

And the source of the gearbox leak has been detected.

more to come
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little write up there. its particularly odd looking at this on a computer screen and not my phone.. WOW!

I gather you simply removed your Subaru Thermo stat now?

Meant to say I have what I would possibly diagnose as lift tapping and also my gearbox is leaking too.... pretty sure mine leaking from the pipe stick tube again though. Its a common habit Laugh Out Loud

Have you retained the AC?

Don't sleep and drive!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: