FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
template for bay window?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgtips
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a lot of effort getting the build done and then having to keep taking it apart.

would you recommend getting the torque converter modified before i build. My adaptor will come from RJES who has a good reputation/experience? The auto box 'should' be able to handle the 100 to 115 bhp from the engine so it looks like all problems were due to the adaptor.

I am interested how your radiators are doing, have you driven in warm enough weather to know if they work well or not, I like the scoop idea because they will be shielded from debris from the road.

PG
fahtal
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after a few times i could get the engine out in 45 miniutes...

in theory the "tube"of the torque converter should not endure any forces. so modification should not be needed.

but allignment should be dead centre and the flexplate should flex..

I`m not sure if rjs sells flexplates.

one more tip. measure the distance between the flexplate and the part of your vw engine that mounts on your gearbox. and check if that distance is the same of your new flexplate and the adaptor plate. i can move the converter 3mm back and forward before i attache it to the flexplate.

oh! and use the right strength of bolts for the converter. vw uses 10. i used 8 and that one came lose... very nice sound effect.... i thougt i ruined the camshaft or something... oh and don`t try to tighten the bolts through the subaru hole on top of the engine. the vw flex plate is smaller you won`t reach it. i tighten them from underneath. there is a gap between the engine and gearbox.

hahaha oh men what a troubles i had.

the radiators still need blowers to cool and i also added those JK plexiglass ear extenders... but i am a bit stubborn.... so it works for me Laugh Out Loud
pgtips
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thanks for all the info. Can I ask about your extra radiator, Is that 3 in total with fans.?

PG
fahtal
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 2 with 3 fans
pgtips
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have my engine now, on a pallet in wrap so i will open it later today. I also have a 010 auto gearbox, the same as those found in later bays which i hope to collect tomorrow and then I will order my parts from RJES.

To start i will get the loom completed as it was originally modified for a pickup and order the adaptor plate and cross member, I don't think i need much else to start with (any input from anyone appreciated).

You used a golf expansion tank for the coolant didn't you.?
Q. Did you house it in the engine bay (I should look at your pics again)

Ideally i would put it behind where the rear vent is at the back of the van but access is difficult. Would i be right in thinking so long as it is higher than everything else(rads/engine) then it will be correct.

If not i think the spare wheel well would be perfect with the ECU as well.

I think I am pretty much close to being at the stage where i open a build thread of my own on the forum now Grin Possibly the main difference to your excellent build is I am more inclined to have belly mounted radiators with scoop/protection.

thanks again,

PG
fahtal
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don`t know what type of expansion tank i have. i went to the scrap yard en opened so many cars that i don`t know anymore. maybe it was a ford. but keep in mind you have 2 types of systems.

1 you fill in the radiator, there is also the pressure cap and when it needs expansion it uses a expansion tank without an pressure cap. (this is what old subarus have)
2 you can`t fill on the radiator but you fill in the expansion tank. this type of tank has an pressure cap.

at first i started out with the original subaru radsiator later on i switched to the second system. if you use the radiator underneath i think you have to go with the second system.

when you go to the scrap yard look for an tank with a mount that you can reuse and not is welded to the car. i just bolted it to the firewall so i can acces it from the inspection latch.
pgtips
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
keep in mind you have 2 types of systems.

good point, I had not thought of that.

I'll be back online in a couple of days and start a build thread with some pics. I wondered about your gauges, are they orig vw and some from subaru, i don't think i have subaru gauges with the engine i purchased but it might have them in there somewhere :-)

PG
fahtal
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a vdo temp gauge. The other are original vw injection
alicec28
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgtips wrote:
Hi,

thanks for replying, I like the ducting idea Trev, but how did you attach the rad to the chassis.

fahtal, thats a great job there, mines an auto as well so its great to see another one done Mutuelles senior. Did you use a 010 gearbox and do you think it would be better with a larger final drive or any change to the gearing?

Would you have done anything different in the build?

thanks guys
PG

Me I think you have to keep your original transmission because it might bleed some times when you brave too hard.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: