FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
It's time!! 70 gets a EJ 22 and the 71 gets 3.3 & AWD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
busyguyfish
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: It's time!! 70 gets a EJ 22 and the 71 gets 3.3 & AWD Reply with quote

An old man and free time are a dangerous thing . I've changed directions so many times that now it's called a circle. Have a 70 pop-top to restore and was going to hold off until my 71 tin top 4 x 4 was built but that will drag out a while so they both go at once.

I will be putting a EJ22 in the 70 I guess with a 02 Stick and radiator down under. Next week I'll take it down to rancho and have it gone through. Was going to go an 03 auto since I have one but think the 4 speed with the right high gear will be much better for the Subaru. The bus goes to the paint shop also next week, nothing crazy, just a nice white as it came from the Germans. And while this goes on I can play with the other one. Just a little more on the harness and a fresh'en up the seals and timing belt during this time also.

And the other one. 1971 tin top camper. It get's it all! EG3.3 out of a 95 SVX (sitting in my yard at this time) a reversed ring and pinion from the crazy Aussie Todd. Buy or machine my own tail shaft housing and drive to maybe install a dog clutch as an in and out for the front drive. Spread the front beams to accept the hub carriers from a existing 4 wheel drive, and the Subie rear diff turned around and mounted on front beam. 29 or 30 inch rubber. Already have started the slice and dice to mount the Subi Radiator front and center, not much use putting it underneath since this my out back vehicle Happy
Moominbus
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some tasty stuff! Got any pictures you could share?
busyguyfish
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet but over the next week
busyguyfish
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's finally getting started and I'll write up as I go. I decided on the Subaru radiator (the one on the left) since I'm trying to use as much as possible from the donor car to show that cost can be keep way down.

I'm trying to keep wifey happy and keep working on our unfinished house as I'm building. Soooo I'm never on schedule with the bus build.

I do have the wiring loom just about done for the EJ22 so I'm making headway. That engine may serve in the 4 x 4 in the beginning as I prep the SVX to replace it.

Steve

P.S. also looking for a set of later split window reduction boxes, big nut, for another job. Need from the axle housing out but brakes don't matter.
fahtal
Initiate Jedi
Initiate Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subaru and automatic go well together.

i have that combination and i like it. my automatic is jonger then yours but i think it should work also. I`m not sure is the older automatic is slower..

check out my dutch topic.

[url] http://www.subaruforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=890&sid=cb9c8df4c99c8a77678568723cc13201[/url]
busyguyfish
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I found your conversion earlier and I'm impressed. I even figured out how to use google and translate your build page.

Very good job
busyguyfish
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it's been a year since I worked on the buses. The 70 is gone to England and the 71 is still in first position in the driveway. I've bought and sold at least 10 buses since I started this project. Now I'm going to get with it and get some RJES bellhousings (got a Vanagon to do too) in a few weeks and tell the wife I've things to do so leave me alone. we'll see how that works.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, interesting stuff! keep the pics coming
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: