FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Bay Window with 1.9 TDI engine -> READY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this has been a busy time. From my last post untill now, I haven't done anything on the bus.

But I will move on saturday! yippie!

Updates will arrive soon!
hanzzz...
Force Sensitive
Force Sensitive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lekker bezig!
Just reading up on this now! good project!
I used a intercooler from citroen c5, it has 2 pipes in a 45 degree angle on top, which makes it easier to pipe up!
(it's in a vanagon in Scheveningen by the way, doing my Audi flipbox conversion now)
good luck!
Hans
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Last weekend I finally spend a day on the project again. I reworked some small stuff, that wasn't properly done first time, cause I wanted to do it fast. Now I want to do it well.

An important thing is making everything workable. For example, I had the charge cooler in place, using zip ties. This sucks when you need to take it out sometime. Now I made some proper mounts that allows an easy bolt in.

Major issues to come:
- finish radiator setup.
- install heaters (1 front, 1 rear)
- wiring

that should be about it, before it can drive. Then I want to test drive it, take engine out, paint engine bay and cover up all welds etc. Thats it.

Luckily, i scrapped 3 cars over the last months so parts are plenty. Makes mounting and fabrication easy if there is a huge pile of parts next to you.
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back!

Friday, I finished my gear setup. I can now select 6 positions with just the stock gear shifter, so no change in the interior at all. I have said this before, but I finally made some pics:

The pics wont win a photography award, but they will show the mechanisms. On the first pic, on the top left you see a universal joint, which is connected to the original rod that goes to the front to the gearshifter.
The throuhg the beam. The original heater pipe has to be removed, through which hot air moved from engine to front. But you don't need this anymore anyway, cause a new heater is used. Than another U-joint (from a jaguar xj steering column). this is connected to the original rod that was on the gearbox in the donor car. It is connected to another U-joint, which isn't really needed but it was the stock part so it was easiest to use this to connect the linkage to the box. On top of this, it has a rubber, preventing engine vibration to travel to the gear stick.

Finally, ther is a sort of guide, which is needed. otherwise, the angles of the u joints would just deform rather than shifting gears.

PICS:

Another thins is, I put the expansion tank in place just so I can easily fill it up from the service hatch.

Another thing is the drive-by-wite throttle. This is located under the cabidn floor now, and attached to the original throttle pedal. Again, no change in the interior!

The clutch pedal is also connected to the hydraulic pump. at this moment a hydraulic line is being made, to connect the pedal with the box. When this hose is done, the controls are finished, with everything looking stock inside. I am really happy with the progress of last weekend.

All that is left is heaters, mounting the rad and do the wiring.

The heaters keep me busy though. I definitely don't want a heater inside, everything must go under the van. But I can't workout the best spot. On top of that. I don't have a compact heater unit. All I have now is the passat heater radiator with a jaguar fan.

more to come next weekend!
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress Wilfred - liking the gear shift.

For a heater have you considered t4 caravelle / multivan / westy ? I had an early one of these and they have their rear heater mounted underneath- so good possible donor.

My original front heater set up was also mounted underneath and fed the totem pole- I used a golf mk1 blower with matrix in custom mount- prob a pic early in my build thread. I've changed it now for other reasons but it was a neat set up. 6n polo blowers are very similar to early golf an easy to come by.

I hope that helps !

Keep up the good work
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent really lookid into t4 heaters. Thanks for the tip! A quick google shows they are still quite lumpy, right?

The mk1 blower is already a lot smaller than the jag blower I have now. I just took the jag blower, cause I had it laying around but I guess I will have to look for a more modern and smaller one.

I am sure I will figure it out, and I will let you know!
easy-does-it
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Out Loud like the use of "tooling" to overcome the gear select, nice one

You might want to think about a cover of some sort for the pentometre ( accelerator thing) have read that once they get wet they can throw a wobbly.

There's two types of t4 rear heater, a bulky one that sits inside in the back by the door and one that goes underneath ( looks like it runs a mk1 fan) ..

oh... where's your exhaust going dude, side exit or are you looping round for ultra silent running?

Won't be long before your on the road Grin
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gonna redo exhaust. At the moment, it sticks out the side, but I want to make a loop and make it come out at the back.

when I first made it, I had very little exhaust pipe, and I am cheap so didn't wanna buy new parts. Now I have scrapped 3 cars in the meandtime, so plenaty of exhaust pipe and curces which makes it easy to manufactura a nice loop.

The throtle thingie is behind the bellypan... so not exposed to weather conditions at all.

I really hope to hit the road next week.
skirk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfred wrote:
I am gonna redo exhaust. At the moment, it sticks out the side, but I want to make a loop and make it come out at the back.

when I first made it, I had very little exhaust pipe, and I am cheap so didn't wanna buy new parts. Now I have scrapped 3 cars in the meandtime, so plenaty of exhaust pipe and curces which makes it easy to manufactura a nice loop.

The throtle thingie is behind the bellypan... so not exposed to weather conditions at all.

I really hope to hit the road next week.

Looking good. How's the gear linkage going ? Have you managed to get the gears in the right place ?
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. Planned to get the bus driving today, but spent all week on a job application. Took assessments today and praying at the moment :-)

Will hear today or monday whether or not I got my first job. Exhausting procedure... So no bus time recently. Really hope to get the job though....
Wilfred
Darth Admin
Darth Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the job. Want me to start immediately.... even less time for the bus I guess...
Kai
Jedi Guardian
Jedi Guardian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfred wrote:
Got the job. Want me to start immediately.... even less time for the bus I guess...

Congratulations on the new job! However I feel your pain won't having enough time for your van. My notch has had a flat tyre for 2 months so has not moved. Still starts on the buttom though Laugh Out Loud

Don't sleep and drive!!!

Last edited by Kai on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20

Jump to: