FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
Electric Power steering (EPS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatoldone
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sort of on topic, but at a tangent. Happy

I'm fitting a Corsa EPAS system to my marlin sportster.

www.greatoldone.co.uk

I am attempting to make it speed sensitive, rather than use one of the eBay special signal generator boxes.

To this end, I'll be using one of these:

http://www.speedodrd.com/

On my VSS signal to up the number of pulses from 9 per rev to 29 per rev - which is what the corsa ECU is expecting. The engine speed signal will be provided by the engine ECU.

In the course of my research for this, I have found out that the variable assistance is actually three separate maps in the ECU, Which are switched to be the active assistance map depending on the speed. The greatest assist gets switched to the 2nd, less assistive map at 18mph. The switch to the third, least assistive map happens at another, higher speed. I have yet to find out what this speed is.

The reason I'm interested in these speeds is that by changing the settings on the speedoDRD, you can fool the EPAS into believing it is going faster (or slower) regardless of the true VSS - hence tailoring the level of assistance to taste.

I'm working on a spreadsheet that will work out what multipliers are required for the exact same assist as would be expected in a stock Corsa, along with smaller and greater multipliers for increased or decreased assistance ranges, and where those cutover points would be.

I'll link to the spreadsheet once it's ready, if anyone is interested.

And if anyone knows what the cutover speed is from the middle map to the last map is, I'd love to know.

Cheers,

Jason
Superleggo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: speed sensor Reply with quote

Jason

Thanks for your information. I bought a Corsa EPS a few years ago for another ongoing project. At the same time I bought a potentiometer off ebay which claimed that it would adjust the sensitivity of the Corsa ecu. I have not yet fitted it to my original project so can not comment on if it works well. But I was planning to fit a similar system to my camper.

Keep the information flowing I am very interested and sure others here are as well
Greatoldone
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - here's all the info I've got:

http://greatoldone.squarespace.com/storage/eps/EPAS%20Speed%20Pulses.xls

There appears to be two ways this could be done on my BMW based car - via the diff speed sender or an ABS ring on one of the hubs. I assume there would be similar pulse sources on a Van.

Regardless of the method, it does give you the opportunity to tailor the assistance, by electronically multiplying or dividing the pulses the speed signal source sends to the EPAS ECU - basically fooling the unit into believing its going faster (or slower) than it is, and hence decreasing (or increasing) the assistance range.

The spreadsheet calculates a number of possible multipliers for either of my pulse sources. If yours differ in the number generated per revolution, you'll need to use those, and then point the assist speed tabs to the correct entries on the wheels tab. You can also enter your own tire & rim sizes. It should then work out the approx speeds the different levels of assistance will work till.

I'm planning on trying the ABS route first, mainly as I'm re-fitting ABS sensors for a Traction Control system I'm installing - but also as there's the possibility that the 48 pulse per rev BMW ABS ring will give a workable range of assistance out of the box with no monkeying around with the signal.

Better crack on and get the column welded up now... Happy
Superleggo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information. I need to read this more carefully to understand how to use it to my benefit but it is a great help in understanding the corsa EPS.

Keep the information flowing

Thanks
richbaker78
Teacher of Padawans
Teacher of Padawans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, like others I have yet to use the ebay gadget in anger but have got now unused abs sensor rings on my hubs......so this info is great...now added to the to do list Happy
tommyr
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: EPS Corsa B Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am new to this so please be kind lol.
I am after the help of all you experts out there. My son bought a Corsa B 1.2 Auto 1999 a month ago for 200. The car passed an mot a month earlier so there is still 10 months mot left. Since he had the car the eps light is on the dash and the steering is very heavy. He has spoken to various garages near where he lives in Borehamwood but they all say that its an expensive job to fix. One kind garage who didn't charge him after looking at it said it was the torque sensor needed adjusting or replacing. Any ideas or thoughts on where he can get it done cheaply would be appreciated. Best wishes to you all. Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Modifications & Upgrades All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: