FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ads
1973 bay highroof with 1.6TD

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedy
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: 1973 bay highroof with 1.6TD Reply with quote

Please refer to the web site at the bottom for latest updates. I think the conversion qualifies as "complete" as I have driven it over 3,000 miles since the swap, however I am constantly changing/improving things.

Vehicle & model: Type2 Safare Custom Camper conversion

Year: 1973

Engine details: 1.6 TD from 1985 Quantum (Passat) although I ended up using the Jetta/Golf intake and exhaust manifolds. I used the KEP adapter and mounted the engine at 15 degrees, also used the KEP starter. 5-rib 002 trans with 4.86 final drive and .82 4th gear, 091 bellhousing and 225mm clutch. Used the factory rear engine support lowered 1" with custom bracketry to accept the engine isolators from the donor car. No modifications whatsoever were made to the exterior as the goal was to keep it looking 100% stock.

MPG: 30 US, 36 IMP, 7.8L/100Km

1/4 mile time: Unknown but likely embarassing

0-60 About 28 seconds, not intercooled yet but it's in the works

Top speed: About 80mph under ideal conditions

Cooling system details: Twin 28" Passat/Quantum diesel rads between the frame rails with OEM low-profile fans.

Other non conversion mods: Air conditioning, Porsche 924 seats, T3 speedo with trip meter, EGT/boost gauges, Koni red shocks, 40W solar panel on roof, Norcold fridge, AGM batteries.

Approx cost of engine conversion: $3,000US

Personal details:
Web Site: http://motorheads.net/vw/turbobus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Completed Conversions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: